Friday, October 24, 2008

The Reluctant Fundamentalist


Three weeks ago during lunch break in dining room of my department, I was talking to a professor of energy department about European life style and I don’t know how we ended up talking about World War II and the strong effect of the war on the present situation of Europe. I told him most effective thing that I have ever know about the war was the movie called “The Pianist” and then he smiled and said then you don’t know any thing. He started telling me about his father and how deep he damaged emotionally during war and a lot of other things that were really amazed me. He is originally from Poland and he said they moved to northeast of Europe during War and they lived there until now. But even after many years passed since the war is got over his father was still reacting in very simple thing. And he said his father had that feeling for rest of his life.
Last weekend I was trying to find some good documentary movie about Poland in World War II because sometime is better to see rather than hear or read but I couldn’t find anything interesting except one recent movie from 2007 named “Fugitive Pieces”. I think it was such a coincident and when tonight I watched it, I totally got my answer. This movie describes good image of the children of war and has strong effect. I really love it and I think selecting music and theme of movie was perfect. In other hand you can see beautiful view of Greek, which makes you to wish for living there, and also some touchable moments of social and family life. Some time people heart can be even bigger than whole world and I don’t know when and how we did loose it. I leave the rest of movie for you to watch and enjoy it.
This was not only thing happen tonight, after movie I finished the book that I was reading it for almost a week. Actually I bought it with the recommendation of bookseller in Stockholm to read it during my trip in Paris two weeks ago. But I just read almost 20 pages in the airport and rest of it after I came back Sweden. The book name is “The Reluctant Fundamentalist” written by Mohsin Hamid a winner of Man Booker Prize and also the international bestseller. I recommend this book to everybody specially those people who live overseas for while and have international life experience. Some part of book was good matching with most my foreigner friend’s life. I used the word “foreigner” because I meant the people who live abroad or should I say Alien because in some countries foreigners have Alien Card behalf of Resident Card. First time I got one of those card I laugh for several minutes because directly I saw people reaction around me and I found out that actually I’m kind of alien here. Anyway, this book is full of life and experience and makes you smile and cry. I like it, even at first the language of book was a little difficult for me to understand but by continuing to read it I got use to it and I had much fun. Sometimes is good to hear those things that we are feeling from somebody else. I mean those things that we are not sure, other people can feel the way we do.

No comments: