Friday, November 21, 2008

The Lost Weekend

These days are too cold for seating in the outdoor coffee shop to have a cup of warm coffee. So I try to find a new good indoor place to hang out for rest of winter. I have been in few places but most of them were full of loud students with bad test coffee. Today after few weeks going from one place to another finally I found an acceptable place with big window in the corner of street almost front of Central Lund Train Station. Most people in this place were coming for reading the newspaper or magazine and some time you could see few people are reading book or doing their office job. I got myself a table next to window with some hot mocha coffee and start to read my new book from Charles Jackson, “The Lost Weekend”. So far I did 25 pages, is too soon to say something about it, but as far as I get it, it is not going to be one of those books that I like, even when the movie is produced by Billy Wilder based on same story and won 4 Oscars in 1945. Hope that I’m wrong, unless will be quite wasting time, because I could of find the movie and get over it in one night.
Something I really like about Lund in Sweden, that you can have anything you want in miniature condition right in the corner of shopping center, downtown, such as small opera house and theater, two cinema with really update movies, many bars and restaurants, few good gyms, many different privet classes for painting, dancing, politic, health, exercising, playing music, biking, and a lot of other things in this small town with population around 70 thousand persons, which is almost 40 thousand of them are students. Before I came here, I was all worried about my entertainment here, but now I can say this city is alive enough and if you know how to manage things here, your life will be kind of exiting too.
Last week I found a movie that I wanted to watch for long time “An American in Paris (1951)”, a musical film, acting by famous dancer, Gene Kelly. When I was younger I heard about it many times and never happened to see it until I did last night. I should say even movie is much older than me but still good to see. Especially you can see the old fashion part of Paris with nice decoration, beautiful girls and many colorful clothes and dresses. Most episodes of movie are look like paint and actually you can see some real painting poses, which were copying from real street painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, who became famous before 1900 for painting real French life style in Paris. Before I went to Paris for first time, I always visualized it exactly like Paris in this movie, but reality always surprise you, and even I still like it but I expected much more. Interesting is that I had same feeling about Rome, when first time I watched the movie “Roman Holiday (1953)”, and when I get in Rome. It was quite different but I like it anyway.

No comments: